Blessin's from Pedrito

Friday, July 3, 2026

Asia Journal ’26 - #10

 


Today we traveled to the north of Kolkata for an interview. It was a 2-hour drive just to cross the city. This is one of the most amazing city to traverse.  Pastor Paritosh is the first non-Adventist pastor that I have been able to interview on this trip. Very insightful! I refilled my stash of fruits including otaheite apple and naseberry. I attended Vespers at the church on the campus where I’m staying. It was a classic example of the traditional colonial/western worship. Here are somethings that stood out: There were no shoes outside;

they were worn in the worship space; the dress was all western; all the songs were from the SDA Hymnal; the musical instruments were all western (except on one song an Indian drum was played); the preaching was classic western evangelistic, including the volume; etc. What was quite culturally Indian was the late big meal after the service! Tomorrow I will worship at a house church which I understand will be more indigenous.  


     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home